How to Apply
The Community Foundation of Greater Chattanooga’s Scholarship Season opens on Tuesday, December 1, 2020.
To learn which scholarship(s) you are eligible to apply, create an account then complete the appropriate Eligibility Questionnaire (EQ).
If you are a graduating high school senior or current college student, your 2021-2022 FAFSA must be submitted to the Department of Education before completing the Ronald McDonald House Charities and/or Community Foundation of Greater Chattanooga (CFGC) Scholarship EQs.
Again, please be sure you are completing the appropriate EQ (details below). If you are eligible for any of our scholarships, the applications you are eligible for will populate after your submission of an EQ.
CFGC Scholarship Eligibility Questionnaire is for eligible graduating high school seniors and college students seeking college scholarships.
Achieve the Dream Eligibility Questionnaire is for Hamilton County, TN families seeking private secondary school scholarships. This Eligibility Questionnaire will open on January 4, 2021.
IMPORTANT: If you have already created an account, you do NOT need to create a new one. If you are unsure whether or not you’ve created one, once you are on our login page, click “forgot password” to see if your email address is already in our system.
- You may apply for as many scholarships for which you meet the eligibility criteria.
- The applications differ and you must complete and submit the specific application for each scholarship for which you apply.
- Applications may be completed in a single sitting or saved as a draft and finished at a later date.
- Save your draft applications regularly as you work to avoid loss of data!
- To upload attachments to an application, refer below to follow directions in the Guide to Completing Your CFGC Online Scholarship Application.
For Letter(s) of Recommendation, follow directions in the Guide to Completing CFGC Your Online Scholarship Application.
- PLEASE confirm that the teacher, other school personnel, or employer is willing to provide a letter of recommendation and obtain the email address of the recommender.
- In the Letter of Recommendation (LOR) section, be sure to provide the recommender’s correct email address and send the email (template provided).
- It is the applicant’s responsibility to ensure that the recommendation has been received.
- Letter(s) must be received by or before the application(s) deadline.
- Additional documents are also required for some applications.
- Read each application carefully to ensure you have provided the correct information.
- For assistance with saving your SAR into PDF format click here
- Example of a Student Aid Report (SAR)
Submitting Your Scholarships
An application is NOT ready to submit until:
- ALL required questions/fields have been completed
- ALL required attachments have been uploaded
- Note: While you may submit your application before your letter of recommendation and/or official transcript is/are uploaded, your application is not complete until required document(s) are received. In addition, once the application(s) is/are submitted, you cannot make edits.
- Pay close attention to our scholarship deadline(s). The Community Foundation will NOT accept any late or incomplete applications.
Click the ‘Submit’ button once your application is ready to submit.
There is no charge to apply for a scholarship and every scholarship is a charitable grant so it will not need to be paid back.
To learn more details about our scholarship opportunities, please click on the Minimum GPA boxes. We also try our best to provide scholarship information offered by other providers, those applications can be found in the Additional Community Foundation Scholarships and other Local Scholarship Opportunities boxes.
Additional Community Foundation and other Local Scholarship Opportunities:
2021 Delta Sigma Theta Sorority, Inc. Chattanooga Alumnae Chapter Scholarship Requirements
2021 Delta Sigma Theta Sorority, Inc. Chattanooga Alumnae Chapter Scholarship Application-Deadline: Friday, February 5, 2021 by 5:00p.m. ET.
The LaBrenda Johnson Memorial Scholarship -Open to eligible graduating high school seniors attending one of Hamilton County Schools’ Learning Community high schools. Deadline: Friday, March 5, 2021 by 4:30p.m.ET.
2021 Reuben Strickland Memorial Scholarship Application-Open to eligible graduating seniors in Hamilton County, TN (Public, Private, Home or Charter Schools). Deadline: Friday, March 12, 2021.
2021 National Alumni Association of Howard High School Scholarship Application– Open to eligible graduating high school seniors from The Howard School. Deadline: Friday, April 16, 2021.
Definitions/ Explanations of Financial Aid Terms
Terms to Know
- FAFSA: Free Application for Federal Student Aid. The 2021-2022 FAFSA is available October 1, 2020.
- SAR: The Student Aid Report (SAR) is a paper or electronic document that summarizes the information you provided on your FAFSA and lists your Expected Family Contribution (EFC).Click here to view a sample SAR
- EFC: The Expected Family Contribution (EFC) is a measure of your family’s financial strength and is calculated according to a formula established by law. The information you report on your FAFSA is used to calculate your EFC. Your family’s taxed and untaxed income, assets, and benefits (such as unemployment or social security) are all considered in the formula. Also considered are your family size, the age of your parent(s), and the number of family members who will attend college during the year.
- Prior-Prior Year Income: Income from two years ago. The FAFSA form now asks families to report income and tax information from the prior-prior year or information from two years ago. For the 2021-2022 FAFSA, it will require 2019 tax information