How to Apply
2019 Scholarship Season Opens Friday, January 11, 2019
In order to find out which scholarship(s) you are eligible to apply for, you are required to complete an Eligibility Quiz (EQ) after you have created an account. Please be sure you are completing the appropriate EQ (details below). After successful completion of the EQ, you will be provided access to the scholarship application(s).
Ronald McDonald House Charities Eligibility Quiz is for eligible graduating high school seniors seeking college scholarships (closes on January 23, 2019)
CFGC Scholarship Eligibility Quiz is for eligible graduating high school seniors and college students seeking college scholarships
Achieve the Dream Eligibility Quiz is for families seeking private secondary school scholarships
- You may apply for as many scholarships for which you meet the eligibility criteria.
- The applications differ and you must complete and submit the specific application for each scholarship for which you apply.
- Applications may be completed in a single sitting or saved as a draft and finished at a later date.
- Save your draft applications regularly as you work to avoid loss of data!
- To upload attachments to an application, refer below to follow directions in the Guide to Completing Your CFGC Online Scholarship Application.
For Letter(s) of Recommendation, follow directions in the Guide to Completing CFGC Your Online Scholarship Application.
- PLEASE, confirm that the teacher, other school personnel, or employer is willing to provide a letter of recommendation and obtain the email address of the recommender.
- In the Letter of Recommendation section of the application, provide the recommender’s email address and send the email.
- It is the applicant’s responsibility to ensure that the recommendation has been received.
- Letter(s) must be received by or before the application(s) deadline.
- Additional documents are also required for some applications.
- Read each application carefully to ensure you have provided the correct information.
- For assistance with saving your SAR into PDF format click here
- Example of a Student Aid Report (SAR)
Submitting Your Scholarships
An application is NOT ready to submit until:
- ALL required questions/fields have been completed;
- ALL required attachments have been uploaded; and
- Note: While you may submit your application before your letter of recommendation and/or official transcript is/are uploaded, your application is not complete until required document(s) are received. In addition, once the application(s) is/are submitted, you cannot make edits.
- Pay close attention to our scholarship deadline(s). The Community Foundation will not accept any late or incomplete applications.
Click the ‘Submit’ button once your application is ready to submit.
There is no charge to apply for a scholarship and every scholarship is a charitable grant so it will not need to be paid back.
- Moreland Family Scholarship-Deadline: March 8, 2019 by 4:30p.m.ET
- Brainerd High School Alumni WAYY Scholarship-Deadline: April 5, 2019 by 4:30p.m.ET
- Sgt. Tim Chapin Scholarship-Deadline: April 5, 2019 by 4:30p.m.ET
- Julie Jacks Memorial Scholarship-Deadline: April 5, 2019 by 4:30p.m.ET
- Connie O’Neal Memorial Scholarship-Deadline: April 5, 2019 by 4:30p.m.ET
- Together We Can Scholarship-Deadline: March 15, 2019 by 4:30p.m.ET
- Jerry Marshall, Sr. Memorial Scholarship-Deadline: March 8, 2019 by 4:30p.m.ET
- Phi Beta Sigma Fraternity Scholarship-Deadline: April 5, 2019 by 4:30p.m.ET
- Edgar M. Jolley Memorial Scholarship-Deadline: May 3, 2019 by 4:30p.m.ET
- Ed Johnson Memorial Scholarship (open to eligible college sophomores, Juniors and Seniors majoring in Criminal Justice or a Criminal Justice related field)-Deadline: April 5, 2019 by 4:30p.m.ET
- Brainerd High School Alumni Scholarship-Deadline: March 8, 2019 by 4:30p.m.ET
- Coca Cola Centennial Scholarship (open to eligible graduating high school seniors from Hamilton County, TN high schools (Public, Private, Charter or Home-school) and the following north Georgia high schools: Chattooga, Dade County, Gordon Lee, Heritage, Lafayette, Lakeview-Fort Oglethorpe, Ridgeland, Ringgold and Trion)-Deadline: March 15, 2019 by 4:30p.m.ET
- Joe Jackson, II Memorial Scholarship-Deadline: April 5, 2019 by 4:30p.m.ET
- John P. Franklin Sr. Achievement Scholarship-Deadline: March 8, 2019 by 4:30p.m.ET
- Sigma Gamma Rho Sorority, Inc. Scholarship-Deadline: March 4, 2019 by 4:30p.m.ET
- Roy Keith, Sr. Memorial Scholarship-Deadline: March 8, 2019 by 4:30p.m.ET
- Soddy High School Scholarship-Deadline: March 8, 2019 by 4:30p.m.ET
- TVA Scholarship-Deadline: March 8, 2019 by 4:30p.m.ET
- MedRock Scholarship-Deadline: April 5, 2019 by 4:30p.m.ET
- The Judy Minge Copeland Memorial Scholarship for the Arts-Deadline: March 8, 2019 by 4:30p.m.ET
- The Kaiser Family Scholarship (open to eligible college Juniors, Seniors and Graduate students pursuing degrees in Business or Sociology)-Deadline: March 8, 2019 by 4:30p.m.ET
- Chattanooga Engineers Club (open to eligible Engineer majors classified as college Sophomores, Juniors or Seniors)-Deadline: March 8, 2019 by 4:30p.m.ET
- Mary Adams and Harold/Ellen Cash Memorial Scholarship-Deadline: March 15, 2019 by 4:30p.m.ET
- Seth Eichenthal Engineering Memorial Scholarship-Deadline: March 8, 2019 by 4:30p.m.ET
Non- Community Foundation Scholarship Opportunities
The following scholarships are open to eligible students. Please pay close attention to requirements, deadlines and submission addresses. These scholarships are NOT administered by the Community Foundation!
- Reuben Strickland Memorial Scholarship
- The Chattanooga Chapter of the Association of Government Accountants
- Tennessee State University National Alumni Association Scholarship Application (Chattanooga Chapter)
Chattanooga-Hamilton County Retired Teachers Association (CHRTA) Scholarship Opportunities:
- CHCRTA Scholarship for Aspiring Educators at UTC (Education Majors)
- CHCRTA AALANA Scholarship (specific to graduating Hamilton County, TN public high school seniors of color interested in becoming teachers)
- Margaret Ferger Scholarship (open to Hamilton County,TN public school seniors interested in becoming teachers)
- Mary & Paul Starnes Scholarship (open to graduate Education students-read additional requirements)
Definitions/ Explanations of Financial Aid Terms
Terms to Know
- FAFSA: Free Application for Federal Student Aid. The 2019-2020 FAFSA is available October 1, 2018.
- SAR: The Student Aid Report (SAR) is a paper or electronic document that summarizes the information you provided on your FAFSA and lists your EFC. SAR Example
- EFC: The Expected Family Contribution (EFC) is a measure of your family’s financial strength and is calculated according to a formula established by law. The information you report on your FAFSA is used to calculate your EFC. Your family’s taxed and untaxed income, assets, and benefits (such as unemployment or social security) are all considered in the formula. Also considered are your family size, the age of your parent(s), and the number of family members who will attend college during the year.
- Prior-Prior Year Income: Income from two years ago. The FAFSA form now asks families to report income and tax information from the prior-prior year (PPY) or information from two years ago. For 2019-2020 academic year, you will need to provide information from 2017